Hello an welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best creative endeavors from the community! Well, I have to say, I am truly touched by the outpour of support you all showed in the previous edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. I do wish to assure all of you that my comment last week asking for you all to share your support for this feature was made partially in jest after noticing the Spotlight two weeks ago was hit hard by spambots. This feature is NOT under threat of being terminated or cancelled, and I am sorry if any of you got that impression from last week’s edition. In fact, there was a time when I even suspected no one read the introduction to the Spotlight. Again, lesson learned! Oh, and one more thing before we jump into the housekeeping, EVERYONE MUST WATCH JEARUM’S VIDEO IN THE TWEETS SECTION! It is genuinely one of the best things from the whole week.
- This week Vinny had an especially difficult time synching the audio for all of Giant Bomb’s livestream archives. You can read all about his struggles on the Giant Bomb Site Goings-on Thread!
- Don’t forget, Drew still needs YOUR HELP in reaching their NEW $15,000 goal for the National MS Society! If you cannot donate, please spread the word!
- ev77 has another update for the fan-made Apple TV Giant Bomb app! Check out the bug fixes and feel free to report any issues using the link!
- Vinny wrote last week’s newsletter and it had a poignant piece about the CNET purchase. Here’s a “taste” of what was in it and don’t forget to subscribe to the newsletter over here: giantbomb.com/newsletter
Am I a Vtuber?
– Vinny Caravella, 2020
— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) September 25, 2020
great newsletter, hope you’re feeling steady with the kids school schedule coming up @VinnyCaravella and thanks from the bottom of my heart for sticking with this site — through thick and thin
— little hothouse orchid (@weaponthane) September 21, 2020
Inspired by a quick work of photoshopping genius from jearum, Twitter user SRCordier made these two Giant Bomb x Twin Peaks mashups I hope you enjoy!
Original by jearum:
bigsocrates returns to blogging on the site with a write up explaining why they decided to pre-order the Xbox Series X, but it’s the worst they have ever felt about pre-ordering a video game console.
cornbredx recently watched a SLEW of Nick Cage movies and runs through which ones they think would make for great material for Giant Bomb’s Film & 40s feature that have not already been covered!
Friend of the site, TurboMan has another AMAZING update on their attempt to become a BioForge speedrunner! Get the details on how their attempt to make the “Caravella Method” a reality!
theoracleofgame uses their latest blog on Giant Bomb to talk about Crysis Remasters and how it’s “fine,” and that’s the biggest issue with it.
Mento continues their “Indie Game of the Week” blog series on with a look at Four Sided Fantasy from developer Ludo Land! Read why it got them nostalgic about its puzzle-platformer gameplay and dialogue-free story!
aiomon takes to Giant Bomb to discuss the Xbox Series S and the “value proposition” it seeks to propose to consumers and how legitimate that proposal really may be.
Moderator ZombiePie has been watching a LOT of FF14 streams featuring Jan and the GameSpot crew and instead of joining the fun like a smart person… spent THREE MONTHS playing OG Final Fantasy XI! Mistakes were made….
Discussions & Threads
The community is still collectively in shock about the announcement that Microsoft bought Bethesda. If you are also flabbergasted at the news, feel free to join the community conversation about the news!
Here’s a fun discussion for everyone: what’s your favorite end credits theme? Share and discuss you ending jam using the link below! Also, might I recommend the Aliens Infestation ending theme?
Inspired by Giant Bomb’s Spelunky 2 coverage, here’s a discussion thread on the site’s forums debating the merits of running or walking by default in the game. Share your two cents’ worth using the link below!
What are some “genre defying” games that come to mind? Which of these are your favorites? Share and discuss the games you struggle to classify into a single genre or theme.
Here’s an important topic not even I had really thought about until now: where the heck are you placing your next gen consoles given how big and oddly shaped they are? How are you making them “fit” in your entertainment unit?
Here’s a poll that has a lot of comments and input from the community: Is Xbox Game Pass the best gaming subscription service around? If not, what do you think is the better alternative?
Here’s another interesting discussion thread on the forums: do you think game streaming services will make a dent on Steam’s almost monolithic grasp of the PC game market? Join the discussion using the link above!
Amazon has announced a new gaming streaming service with Twitch integration! Share your initial reactions to the news, and predictions on how the service will fare with the rest of the community!
NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 just got a release date! Are you excited to see more of the remaster on modern technology? Share your thoughts about the date and latest trailer using the link
As the title suggests, do you think the Xbox Series S will hold back third-party development for Series X/PS5 games? How will multiplayer work on a lower SKU? Join the discussion now!
Football Manager 21 is coming to Xbox! Are you excited to try out the game on a console? How do you think the game’s UI and normally “busy” interface will translate on the Xbox?
Freedom Fighters is coming to GOG! How many of you plan to pick up a new copy of the game? How many of you older Giant Bomb fans remember the old “Load our Last Save” video feature for the game starring Drew, Vinny, and Dave Snider? It is a classic feature if you have not seen it already!
Moderator riostarwind uses their latest list on Giant Bomb to annotate some of their favorite gaming memories from the year up to this point!
After a brief hiatus, frontman12 returns to making GOTY lists of the best games for every year they have been gaming! This week, they made a list annotating the best games from 2002!
Hellscream annotated the cancelled video games they most would like to have played. Give it a read, and think about making a list of your own!
- @pauljeremiah bought the PS4 remaster of Crysis as they do not have a PC capable of running on comparable setting. However, they use their review to share why they were horribly disappointed by the package.
- @exoverzero‘s Into the Radius VR review discusses why they feel it was was a worthwhile purchase despite the game’s ridiculous load times and lack of polish.
- @stantongrouse uses their review of Hotshot Racing on the site to share why you shouldn’t let this indie racing game pass you by if you have a need for speed.
- @vaiz uses their review of Batman: Arkham Asylum to argue why the game deserves the “classic” title now that deserves more respect from critics and consumers all alike.
- @riostarwind‘s Deliver Us the Moon extrapolates how the game’s bleak tone merge well with its mechanics to create a moody take on the survival/exploration genre.
Fellow wiki moderator @marino spotted “The People’s Speedrunner” GrandPooBear in the credits of Spelunky 2 along with the likes of Danny O’Dwyer! If you noticed any “interesting” named personalities in the credits, feel free to add them!
If you love 5.25″ floppy disks, the Hitachi S1 is our latest weird-ass, rare video game platform that’s been added to the wiki.